



Keep Hayward Clean and Green (KHCG)  
Task Force (TF) Meeting Notes  
Hayward City Hall, Room 2A  
777 B Street, Hayward  
May 24, 2018

**I. Call to Order**

Meeting called to order by Chair Andrews at 7:01 p.m.

**II. Pledge of Allegiance:**

Pledge of Allegiance led by Task Force Member Tawana Smith.

**III. Roll Call:**

*City Council & Staff:* Rod Affonso, Streets Maintenance Manager and Kimberly DeLand, Administrative Supervisor

*Task Force Members Present:* Angela Andrews, Blytha Bowers, Lynne Clifton \*, Alison Divine, Sharon Eva, Suzanne Gayle, Jeffrey Haman, Chuck Horner, Hasieb Lemar, Tim Romano-Pugh\*, Megha Salpekar \*, Scott Schroder, and Tawana Smith

\*City of Hayward online training in the Computer Room.

*Task Force Members Absent:* Ginny Delaney, Arti Garg, Stephen Ochoa, Rick Solis, and Wandra Williams

*Youth Commission Liaison:* None

*Guest (Visitor Sign-In):* None

**IV. Public Comments:**

a. None

**V. Approval of Meeting Minutes from April 26, 2018**

It was motioned/seconded by Task Force Members Ali Divine and Jeff Haman and passed by majority vote to approve the April 26, 2018 meeting minutes 11:0:0 (8 absent).

**VI. Presentations**

**Chair Angela Andrews:** Blytha, do you want to update us on Community Engagement?

**Task Force Member Bowers:** Yes, I can update the group. I met with Zach and we talked about several items. I wanted to make sure we were on the same page about his tasks for the Task Force. He agreed to devote ten hours per week for the Task Force. We agreed that the measurement of

his success will the number of volunteers who attend our events. We did not set a specific goal for the number of volunteers we expect at the events.

In preparation of the June event, Zach is going to reach out to the geographical area around that event. In addition, we talked about partnerships like Cal State East Bay. He is going to reach out to All Saints Church, Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, and a couple of other groups that will bring in volunteers to our events.

For those of us who were the Community Engagement Ad Hoc Committee, I shared the letters that we put together when we were part of that committee. Zach was reaching out door-to-door, but we may need to send letters or other communication to invite volunteers to our events. We talked about timeline. He needs to have some sort of collateral and he needs to know the theme before going out to recruit volunteers. He also needs to work with Chuck on the timeline to promote the events so we are doing certain tasks in week one, different tasks in week two, etc. until the day of the event. For example, the flyers may go in week one and the posters will go out in week two. We setup meeting every four to six weeks so we can talk about his progress.

I asked Zach what he needs from the Task Force and he would like any leads, contacts, or groups where he can pursue. We had a list of contact, maybe in Google docs, and we need to update/maintain the list where it is housed in one area.

**Chair Angela Andrews:** Did he say anything about his communication with H.A.R.D. and HUSD?

**Task Force Member Bowers:** His office is in a H.A.R.D. facility in the Southgate Community Center, off Sleepy Hollow. He was able to get a commitment from the person who works on H.A.R.D.'s brochures so we will have a presence in the brochures. He no longer supports H.U.S.D. He supports us, H.A.R.D., and the City.

Some of the Task Force Members are not familiar with Zach and his role with the Task Force.

**Task Force Member Bowers:** He is paid by the City and H.A.R.D. and recruits volunteers for both agencies.

**Streets Manager Affonso:** That is correct, Zach is a shared resource and he has lots of contacts through H.A.R.D. We worked with him on the Weekes Park event and he has saved the City lots of money by allowing the City to use tables and chairs through H.A.R.D. He has lots of contact and knows lots of people. Hopefully, he can reach out to the schools and maybe we can get more volunteers. Are we reaching out to the schools?

**Chair Angela Andrews:** Chuck and I had coffee with the Superintendent of Schools, we gave him flyers, and got a connection with his admin. In September we reached out to their Director of Facilities, but at that time they wanted to focus on their Capital Improvement list. Maybe now is a better time to reach out to them. Maybe we can use Zach as a resource to build a relationship with H.U.S.D.

**Streets Manager Affonso:** Blytha, when Chuck came in to discuss how he will promote the Task Force, remind me of what he discussed and is that related to Zach's role?

**Task Force Member Bowers:** Chuck is the PIO and it is my understanding that he will get volunteers through advertising. He will help with anything we want advertised. When we have poster, his team that pushes that out through media. We are trying to get the Task Force information

out to as many people as possible. Chuck's group is supposed to take our list of volunteers who sign up....

**Administrative Secretary DeLand:** I have been scanning the hard-copy registration forms to Brianne every month and she has access to the online registration form in Google Doc with the list of volunteers. She is supposed to be building the list from these documents.

**Task Force Member Divine:** Can we also use the grabber check list? It may be easy to get the volunteers who attend our events and ask if we can send them information about future events. Maybe we can send text blasts with reminders that an event is an upcoming event.

**Task Force Member Horner:** Since the volunteers already come out to our events we should automatically add them to the list to send the blast and they can opt out if they want.

**Chair Angela Andrews:** We need clarification from Chuck that they are building the list.

**Task Force Member Bowers:** I would want to make sure that it is happening...they are building the list.

**Chair Angela Andrews:** As a follow-up for Zach is to check in with Brianne to make sure she is inputting that information. That takes time to go through the registration forms.

**Task Force Member Divine:** I have used Everbrite to organize things, is this something we would use? Eventbrite is free if you are not selling tickets.

**Chair Angela Andrews:** Eventbrite and Volunteer Match. If you have any leads, please email them to Blytha since she is our liaison.

**Streets Maintenance Manager Affonso:** Hopefully with the blasts and Zach promoting the events we can have a brighter outlook on the number of participants.

**Chair Angela Andrews:** If you have any ideas on Community Engagement, please email it to Blytha since she is our liaison.

**Task Force Member Bowers:** Zach really wants leads so he can reach out to the various groups.

**Chair Angela Andrews:** Also 'cc' Kimberly.

**a. Ad-Hoc Committee (New) – Adopt A Block**

**Chair Andrews:** Jillian did resign as Vice Chair from the Task Force. We are revisiting Adopt-A-Block as an Ad Hoc Committee vs. one person as the managing the program. If you are interested we can get you more information. Basically, it is an individual or group who adopts a block, they clean their block four times per year. They will receive grabbers, bags, and safety vests. They organize their group, take a photo of the garbage they picked up, and submit the photo on Access Hayward to indicate where City staff can pick up the bags of trash. Groups can get supplies from Kimberly and they can get a sign on the block they adopt. This is good for business that want to advertise, groups like Boy Scouts, churches, or individuals. The Ad Hoc Committee can think about promotional items and inviting the groups to our clean up events. I know there was a survey that went out recently.

**Administrative Supervisor Kimberly DeLand:** I had Brianne send out the letter to the Adopt a Block groups asking for an update, how many cleanups they completed, and if they needed supplies. We did not get a big response, I may have received nine responses. I would like feedback from the group on how to proceed. There are about 50 groups and I received about nine responses.

**Chair Angela Andrews:** In the past, making phone calls to the Adopt a Block groups may be a more effective way to communicate with the groups. We can try to make call during a cleanup event so we aren't taking up too much time outside of the cleanup events. If you are interested in Adopt a Block, raise your hand. Scott and Jeff volunteered to be on the Adopt a Block Ad Hoc Committee.

**b. Policy Update**

**Chair Angela Andrews:** Ginny and Arti are not here so we will table this for next meeting.

**c. Financial Report**

**Kimberly DeLand:** I ordered some yard signs and they arrived today. We order five back braces and they are in the shed.

**Chair Angela Andrews:** Can we have them loaded in the truck for the next event?

**Kimberly DeLand:** We will load them in the big grey bin. Those were the most recent purchases and you have about \$1500 remaining.

**VII. Action Items**

**a. Canvas Bags**

**Kimberly DeLand:** Previously we talked about ordering the cotton alternative canvas bag and I put together draft with the KHCG leaf and the "Keep Hayward Clean & Green" below the leaf.

**Task Force Member Horner:** I suggest we have our ULR at the bottom *Hayward-CA.GOV/KHCG*

For 250 bags it will cost about \$1,000; for 500 it is a little over \$1,500; for 750 it is a little over \$2,500. I was proposing to purchase the bags July 1<sup>st</sup> for the new fiscal year.

**Task Force Member Divine:** We were talking about purchasing items for this fiscal year for the summer events.

**Chair Angela Andrews:** Can we come back to this so we can talk about the other items we may want purchase.

**b. Canopy with Logo**

**Chair Angela Andrews:** Can we show the canopy options?

**Kimberly DeLand:** Here is one option from Costco, it is a 10 x 10, for \$680.

**Discussion:** There was a discussion about order parts to repair the broken leg of the canopy. There were three canopies and now there are only two canopies. The broken canopy may have gotten tossed and we kept the bag. Have we considered something other than an EZ Up?

**Kimberly DeLand:** The canopy I am showing you for \$680 includes the logo. Costco also offers other canopies that are cheaper. There is another organization in Hayward that will print the logo onto the canopy for \$600.

**Task Force Member Horner:** Have we considered other canopy options? There are rectangular canopies, then we can use one tent versus three tents and they are heavier.

**Chair Angela Andrews:** Do you want to give Kimberly the name of those tents.

**c. Summer Events**

**Task Force Member Divine:** Suzanne and I want to have something at the Downtown Street Party that engaged the children long enough so we can talk to the parents about the things we do. We want to show the parents posters of the cleanup events, the stats, and how many people came out to the events. While we are engaging the parents, I wanted to have the recycled rubber ducks in a kiddie pool full of water, the kids can use a grabber to get one of the rubber ducks, and take the duck home. I found other items like I Recycle stickers and stamp. There is an Earth Day pack that comes with 250 items like erasers, pencils, bookmarks, and other random items.

**Chair Angela Andrews:** Will you send quantities that we may need to order?

**Task Force Member Divine:** I have not been to a street fair so I may need help to determine the quantities.

**Task Force Member Gayle:** June is the event that has the most people and there are fewer at the July and August street parties.

We also want Steve to have a poster of the Beautiful Yard contest.

**Chair Angela Andrews:** Do we still have the poster from the last Beautiful Yard contests?

**Kimberly DeLand:** I will check the shed for the posters.

**Chair Angela Andrews:** When is the first Street Party?

**Discussion:** the third Thursday of the month, which is June 21<sup>st</sup>

**Task Force Member Lemar:** I have a bunch of rubber ducks.

**Chair Angela Andrews:** Touch base with Kimberly so she can place the order.

**Kimberly DeLand:** Email me tomorrow morning and I will have my co-worker order the items because I am leaving early and I am not going to be around the next two weeks.

**Task Force Member Gayle:** I'd like to take a smaller bin to the Street Party and not bring as many items. We should have one bin designated for the Street Party so we do not have to move items from one bin to another.

**Chair Angela Andrews:** Maybe you can meet a week before the Street Party

**Task Force Member Gayle:** Are there smaller bins?

**Streets Maintenance Manager Affonso:** If you let me know what you want packed, I will make sure it is loaded into the truck.

**Task Force Member Gayle:** We do not need anything big. We can have one bin with the kid's items and another bin with the information in it. One or two of the signs/posters and a table cloth.

**Chair Angela Andrews:** Maybe you can arrange with Rod and/or Kimberly a time to meet at the bins and they can let you into the Corp Yard if you do not have a clicker.

**Task Force Member Bowers:** We should see who will be at the 06/21/18 Street Fair.

**Chair Angela Andrews:** For the Street Party, you should to be there by 4 PM if City Staff takes the truck and it closes at 8:30 PM. Let's look at the calendar of our events.

**Task Force Member Bowers:** Did we have an issue last year about coverage at the Street Party? I think we should ask today who can work at the Street Party.

**Chair Angela Andrews:** The calendar says, "In lieu of regular meeting, all TF members do the Downtown Street Party on 06/21/18."

**Kimberly DeLand:** For July, there is a meeting and a cleanup event. August there is no meeting and no cleanup event. The July Street Party does not conflict with the meeting.

**Chair Angela Andrews:** For June we should be at the Street Party. I can be there at 6:00 PM - 8:30 PM.

**Task Force Member Bowers:** I will be at the June event about 4:00 PM. I can help at the shed since I have a clicker.

**Chair Angela Andrews:** There are lots of people at the Street Party and it will be difficult to park the truck by our stall. How do you feel about meeting at the shed to coordinate the items we need at the Street Party so City staff can load and bring the truck to the event?

**Streets Maintenance Manager Affonso:** My staff will be out there by 2:00 PM to do the street closures. If we can meet before the event I will make sure the items are packed and taken to the event.

**Chair Angela Andrews:** You probably need another planning meeting to discuss the details of the Street Party. For now, do you have me and Blytha down to work the event?

Jeff and Hasieb volunteered to work the Street Party. Sounds like we have coverage for the June event.

- d. Tennyson Festival Saturday, 06/30/18, from 10:30 AM – 2:00 PM.

**Chair Angela Andrews:** Do we want to have a booth at the Tennyson Festival? We may have had the fee waived last year. Sounds like we are not going to do the Tennyson Festival.

- e. Science in the Park

**Task Force Member Gayle:** I want to bring this up at the next meeting because we need to turn in what we are going to do by August. Arti and Ginny seemed interested in water flow, so maybe Kimberly can send an email so we can discuss what we will do at the Science in the Park event and the budget we want to allocate to this event. I have some ideas, but I want to get input from the others.

**Chair Angela Andrews:** Are there any other Summer events we want to consider?

**Task Force Member Horner:** I usually do the Festival on the second Saturday of August at the Community Church of Hayward, across from Glassbrook Elementary School. I usually take the truck out with flyers and try to enlist some people.

**Chair Angela Andrews:** Will you give details the Summer Event Ad Hoc Committee so they can decide if we want to participate in this event?

f. Mapping Cleanup for the Year

**Chair Angela Andrews:** Instead of sending emails asking who's doing the maps for the next cleanup event, Lynne proposed to have a few members map all the events for the year. Who would like to join Lynne to do this task? Blytha and Jeff...

**Task Force Member Haman:** We can take care of the maps and have everything ready, I think it will be good for the leads to get those maps and canvass the areas, so the day of the cleanup we know which streets to direct the volunteers.

**Task Force Member Gayle:** Are we mapping the events for the rest of the year?

Yes.

**Task Force Member Bowers:** We can do the mapping, but we should map for a certain number of people. Whoever the lead is should make sure of the number of participants for the cleanup event.

**Task Force Member Horner:** Do we have a list of the participation for each event?

**Kimberly DeLand:** The meeting before the event, I provide a spreadsheet of the volunteers from the online registration.

**Task Force Member Horner:** Do we have the stat of the participants from the past year?

## **VIII. Community Cleanups and Upcoming Events**

a. Longwood Elementary 04/28/18 – Task Force Members Garg & Haman

**Chair Angela Andrews:** How did the event go? Who was the lead? Jeff, how did it go?

**Task Force Member Haman:** It went ok, we can use more help. I was trying to learn the mapping with Suzanne and we had difficulty trying to find someone to drive the truck, so the truck sat there for a while. After a while, Tim and I drove around to pick up the trash. Another suggestion, I know it may be difficult for some to pick up the trash, but maybe the driver can ask the volunteers to put the bags into the truck, giving them more bags, or more gloves. You don't have to pick up every

item. If there are bulky items like refrigerator, we can text the address to staff and they can pick it up for the Task Force.

**Chair Angela Andrews:** I thought we assigned the truck at the last meeting? We'll make sure we assign this task for each event.

**b. Community Engagement Fair 05/12/18**

**Chair Angela Andrews:** I did not see many people there. I spoke to one person that was not on a commission. I was there from 11:00 AM – 12:20 PM. Last year it was outdoors.

**Task Force Member Gayle:** I did not like it indoors, I did not know where to go. I had to ask a bunch of people before some directed me into the community center.

**Chair Angela Andrews:** There was not a lot of signage to invite volunteers inside the community center. Many of the volunteers stayed outside when they finished.

**Task Force Member Bowers:** We used to get more people when the event was held here [City Hall].

**Task Force Member Horner:** Instead of setting up at 11:00 AM, we should be set up at 8:00 AM when volunteers are registering for the cleanup event; otherwise, we do not get any exposure.

**Streets Maintenance Manager Affonso:** We have talked about it also. This used to be a bigger event in the past. I heard there was low participation.

**Task Force Member Bowers:** We used to have the Boards & Commissions event at City Hall and we had many people show up...it was a bigger forum, it was at City Hall, and it seemed to be a nicer event. It only became part of the Citywide Clean Up event the last couple of years. I don't think we are getting any new members from this event. Do we know how many volunteers they got? I know CSUEB was there.

**Streets Maintenance Manager Affonso:** I heard less than 100 volunteers.

**Task Force Member Bowers:** I think the message is confused. If you are coming to volunteer for cleanup you are dressed to cleanup; if you are seeking information for a commission you are...

**Streets Maintenance Manager Affonso:** I second that. When I helped with the setup, I thought it was too complex.

**Chair Angela Andrews:** Kimberly, we can talk to Todd about it and provide him with our feedback.

**c. Hayward Community Gardens 06/23/18**

**Chair Angela Andrews:** We need two leads for the Hayward Community Garden event. Are we cleaning inside or outside of the gardens?

**Task Force Member Bowers:** There were some emails and we will have limited access to the garden. He mentioned something about weeds, but we are not clear if we are doing any landscaping at the Community Garden at all.



**Chair Angela Andrews:** We should advertise it as a beautification events.

**Streets Maintenance Manager Affonso:** I think HARD let it go and PG&E did a site check and the garden was not maintained per the agreement.

**Chair Angela Andrews:** This will be a cleanup event, launching from the Community Gardens. Last year we thought we had access to the garden, but we did not get it and it was a difficult site.

**Discussion:** There was discussion on the monthly tabulations for the number of volunteers, cubic yards picked up, and number of task force members at each event.

**Chair Angela Andrews:** We need the task list for the next event. The task force went over the duties for the June cleanup event.

## **IX. Announcements/Updates**

**Council Member Mendall Update:** N/A

**Director Rullman Updates:** N/A

**Chair Andrews Updates:** Suzanne is working on a mural at Walpert and Fletcher, near Mission. If anyone wants to help with the mural, Kimberly can send an email to the Task Force to contact Suzanne directly to arrange time/dates with Suzanne.

In the next couple of months, we will be looking for a new Vice Chair.

There is a sub-committee to interview the individuals who want to become a Task Force Member. Interviews are on July 13<sup>th</sup>, but we do not have times yet. We need four to six members for this sub-committee. The sub-committee: Angela, Hasieb, Ali, and Sharon (maybe).

**Task Force Member Smith:** Did we order two-way radios?

**Kimberly DeLand:** Yes, I will place the radios (fully charged) in the grey bin with the iPad.

**Task Force Member Smith:** Since we have some money at the end of the year, can we purchase gift cards to purchase the coffee/snacks? We should get a pre-paid Visa card to use anywhere. Can we raffle off gift cards at the events?

**Streets Maintenance Manager Affonso:** That will be a go promotion to add to the flyer or to the email blasts that there will be a drawing at the end of the event.

## **X. Adjournment (8:35 PM)**