



Keep Hayward Clean and Green (KHCG)  
Task Force (TF) Meeting Notes  
Hayward City Hall, Room 2A  
777 B Street, Hayward  
May 23, 2019

**I. Call to Order**

Meeting called to order by Chair Divine at 7:02 p.m.

**II. Pledge of Allegiance:**

Pledge of Allegiance led by Task Force Member Manzo.

**III. Roll Call:**

*City Council & Staff:* Council Member Márquez; Todd Rullman, Director of Maintenance Services; and Kimberly DeLand, Administrative Supervisor

*Task Force Members Present:* Blytha Bowers, Ginny Delaney, Alison Divine, Jeffrey Haman, Sarah Low, Bert Manzo, Anika Patterson, Scott Schroder, and Lenora Taylor

*Task Force Members Absent:* Suzanne Gayle, Sharon Eva, Chuck Horner, Adithya Naresh, Megha Salpekar, Tawana Smith, Tim Romano-Pugh, and Jacquelyn Young

*Youth Commission Liaison:* Kimberly Babasa

*Guest (Visitor Sign-In):* None

**IV. Public Comments:**

None

**V. Approval of Meeting Minutes from March 21, 2019**

The vote to approve the minutes was tabled until next meeting. Quorum was not established.

**VI. Approval of Meeting Minutes from April 25, 2019**

The vote to approve the minutes was tabled until next meeting. Quorum was not established.

**VII. Presentations**

**a. Financial Report**

**Kimberly DeLand:** The last purchase that was made since the last meeting was the KHCG Leaf Logo decal that will be used for the A-Frame signs. You will have the new signs for this weekend's event.

## **VIII. Action Items**

### **a. Approval of Purchase for Garage Sale Items**

**Chair Divine:** Since we do not have quorum to approve the purchases, we will have Kimberly provide an overview of items.

**Kimberly DeLand:** The first item I want to present are the water bottles. The plastic water bottles that I presented last month are no longer available. However, I believe you wanted the aluminum water bottles and the cost is \$1,468.35 for 250 aluminum water bottles.

**Bags:** Last month I presented the cotton bags, which are the same ones we purchased last time for the Garage Sale participants and the cost is \$987.75 for 250 bags.

I was asked to look into the natural fabric bags. The Jute Bag with black trim is like the Spare the Air bag given out at the Community Engagement Fair last month. I have a couple of samples I will pass around for you to look at. The cost of these bags is \$2,362.01 for 250 bags. However, the vendor does not recommend printing your multi-color logo on this fabric because image clarity will not be crisp. The vendor recommends printing one color on this bag.

The Izzy Jute Bag is an alternative to the Jute Bag and the multi-color logo will print better on the cotton fabric on the front of the Izzy Jute Bag. Again, I will pass around a sample of the bag. The cost of this bag is \$1,508.25 for 250 bags.

Keep in mind that the fabric bags will use a big portion of your remaining budget.

**Discussion:** The current budget is good through June and we will get another \$15,000 in July?

Yes, the remaining budget is good through June 30<sup>th</sup> and you will get a new budget on July 1<sup>st</sup>.

**Seeds:** The last item I want to present is the seed packets. The cost for 200 packets is \$108 and the cost for 500 packets is \$203. If you want to provide two packets to each garage sale participant, we can consider purchasing 1,000 packets for \$406.

**Discussion:** How much did we spend last year on the garage sale?

Last year we purchased 500 of the cotton bags. You had the other items that we placed inside, like the pen, pencil, bumper sticker, window cling, color book, and the seeds. This year you have most of the items in stock, but we do not have enough bags and we used up the seed packets last year.

**Chair Divine:** The reason we looked into a water bottle this year is because we want to give the garage sale participants something else in addition to the items we give away at our regular events. We want to thank the participants for their efforts. This is a newer item we are looking into for this year's garage sale event and we did not have this expense in the past

The vote to approve the purchase of water bottles, bags, and/or seed packets was tabled until next meeting. Quorum was not established.

## **IX. Community Cleanups and Upcoming Events**

### **a. Community Engagement Fair 04/27/19**

**Chair Divine:** The event went well, and the canopy looked amazing. The City did a wonderful job putting everything together. City staff put up and took down the canopy, which helped a great deal.

**Discussion:** We had some people stop by who were interested in Adopting-A-Block. Did we get some groups to adopt-a-block after the event? Yes, there were a few applications to adopt-a-block. Having the large Adopt-A-Block map at the event was helpful to show the areas that are already adopted and the areas that are available to adopt. Having the “hot spot” map was nice to have at the event to explain what we do and why we are in the community.

**Chair Divine:** I am excited to bring the same maps to the Downtown Street Parties. With the increased attendance at the Downtown Street Parties, we can have an impact on getting more streets adopted.

**Council Member Márquez:** Don't forget to recruit members, also.

**Discussion:** We saw some sustainable products like biodegradable pens at the Community Engagement Fair. We giveaway lots of things, but the way our climate is shifting it is shifting away from plastic. Lots of items like pens, pencils, and bags are biodegradable and it is something we should promote. As we run out of the current items, we can switch to the biodegradable products.

Some of the items were from Cal State East Bay. We should invite them to our events; even if they are only there to educate the community.

**Chair Divine:** We did get a request from a group to see if they can table at our event to give out information. The reason we don't really want groups set up at our event is because the purpose of our events is to encourage the volunteers to get the supplies and go out to clean the area. My fear is if we allow others to table at our events, it will encourage the volunteers to stay at the staging area instead of going out to clean the area. However, I will be open to having groups come to our meeting to provide us with information so we can provide hand-outs at our events.

**Discussion:** if we have groups table at our event maybe we can ask them to set up toward the end of the event.

**Vice Chair Delaney:** During the Community Fair a few of us organized the shed. We put the vests in the large rolling bin. We are using the smaller bins for setup items, swag, and admin items.

When the trailer arrives, our items will be in the trailer. Any update on the trailer?

**Director Rullman:** The trailer arrived about two weeks ago. We are installing two jack stands to the rear of the trailer, so when it is disconnected from the truck and people are walking the rear of the trailer it will not tip over. We have the graphics finalized and we will get the trailer to the vendor next week. Rod and Kimberly identified space and shelving needs based on the items that are in the shed. We anticipate that the trailer will be ready for the June event.

**b. Southgate Community Center 05/25/19 – Task Force Member Low & Patterson**

**Chair Divine:** Task Force Members Low and Patterson are co-leading the event at Southgate Community Center.

**Task Force Member Low:** I am not sure where we should setup at the location. There is one flat area between the park and community center that is flat; otherwise there is lots of grassy areas at this site.

**Discussion:** Will we have access to the restroom? Yes, you will have access to the exterior restroom. There is a dog park across the street with a big open area and we can block off the area for the trash.

**Director Rullman:** We can post some NO PARKING signs fronting the dog park on Chiplay.

**c. Jackson St @ Barnes Court (Animal Control) 06/22/19 – Chair Divine**

**Chair Divine:** Next month is our first caravan style event on Jackson Street and we will stage at Animal Control. It will run like our other events. The idea behind this style of event is that it will look like a caravan of people walked down Jackson and cleaned it all together. We will start at Animal Control, have pre-designated routes to send the volunteers. For example, we may send volunteers down Jackson and have clean a side street.

**Council Member Márquez:** My concern is the parking at Animal Control. The parking may be limited at Animal Control.

**Director Rullman:** We can post NO PARKING along Barnes Court and we can open the Corporation Yard for parking.

**Chair Divine:** For the families we send to Santa Clara, we can have them drive to the area and park at the Safeway lot to clean and drive back to the staging area.

As the lead for this event, I will map out our routes, send the information to mapping committee to put together the maps.

**Discussion:** When is the Garage Sale? If we order the items in June, will we have enough time to get the products?

The Garage Sale is August 10<sup>th</sup>. I will have to order in June to get the items in time for the garage sale.

**X. Announcements/Updates**

**a. Council Member Updates**

**Council Member Márquez:** I am on the committee for the Cinco de Mayo Festival. A week and half before the festival we had lots of logistics to work out. If anyone is interested in joining this committee next year, we can use your help organizing the event. The event had dances, horses, and music.

**Discussion:** What sort of help do you need for this event?

**Council Member Márquez:** Volunteer committee/coordinator, setup, cleanup, and there is a car show component. You may email and I can provide more specifics. This event is put on by a local non-profit and this was the 37<sup>th</sup> Annual.

Last night we approved our budget. We had a surplus of almost \$400,000, which will go into our reserves. Our priority is to bring down our unfunded liabilities and pay down our post employee benefits. Once we pay these down, it will free up more funds, and we can provide more services. I am concerned about our growing population and we are not keeping up with our services.

In addition to approving the budget, we approved four new positions in Maintenance Services and these positions will be paid for through Measure C funds, which was approved in June 2014. When I am done, I will have Todd elaborate on these positions because it ties into the goals of this group.

The Mayor, City Manager, and Chief of Police are interviewing applicants for the Police Advisory Panel. They will decide in the next couple of months. We had over 80 applicants, but the panel will consist of 8 to 10 members. This is a big step in getting community input and strengthen the relationship between the community and the Police Department.

Anyone who is interested in participating on another Board or Commission, the application is due at the end of June.

#### **b. Staff Update**

**Director Rullman:** Maintenance Services has five positions dedicated out of the Measure C fund. We have three staff in Streets who handles: graffiti abatement, trash abatement, and illegal dumping. We have two staff in Landscape that handle all loose litter. The crew from Landscape are out on a defined schedule and a bulk of their work is in South Hayward: Tennyson, Harder, Whitman, and the Jackson Triangle.

Greg Galati, from the community, has helped us define the schedule. Greg has been an advocate of expanding the Measure C crews. The crews are going to these locations to address the issues, but they are not able to address the issues in the frequency that is needed. By adding the additional positions, we can schedule crews to address these issues on a weekly basis. We will have six staff dedicated to Measure C and they will go out in three crews with two staff per crew. I will take input on area that we need to address.

The positions will post July 1<sup>st</sup>, we have an eligibility list for that classification, and I anticipate that we will have them in the community by the end of July.

#### **c. Chair Updates:**

**Chair Divine:** We sent out information about the Fairview Walk-A-Thon and they asked if we were interested in a table at their event. We did not get a response from anyone, so we RSVP'd that we are unable to table at their event.

For those on the Spring/Summer Ad Hoc Committee, I will send an email about the Downtown Street Party and decide what activities we will have at the event so we can purchase the items.

**Director Rullman:** Do you want the large canopy at the Downtown Street Party?

Yes, the Chamber will allow the 10 x 20 canopy

**Chair Divine:** Since we will have the large canopy, we will have a table designated for Adopt a Block map and community outreach information. We can have another table for the games with the children.

**Discussion:** How does the Downtown Street party work? Is it like our regular events?

Members arrive early, City staff will bring the canopy and leave the trailer near the tent.

**Council Member Márquez:** Has Chuck emailed the group about tabling at the All-American Festival on June 29th? The event is from 11 AM – 3 PM at Mt. Eden Mansion at the corner of Hesperian & Tennyson?

**Chair Divine:** Yes, we received a flyer about the All-American Festival, and I brought it up at one of our previous meetings.

The first Downtown Street party is June 20<sup>th</sup>, the same night as our meeting. We will need two to three people at the booth during the meeting and you will get credit for the meeting.

**Discussion:** Will we have enough people at the meeting to meet quorum?

**Council Member Márquez:** You should reschedule the meeting in June.

**Discussion:** Are we cancelling the meeting or rescheduling the meeting? The group decided to reschedule since it is the last meeting before the fiscal year ends, and we plan to start the 2020 calendar. It was decided to reschedule the meeting for June 13, 2019.

**Discussion:** For the members whose term ends this year, how does that work? Is there a process?

**Council Member Márquez:** The City Clerk will contact you to see if you are interested in being reappointed.

**XI.     Adjournment (7:45 PM)**