



Keep Hayward Clean and Green (KHCG)
Task Force (TF) Meeting Notes
Hayward City Hall, Room 2A
777 B Street, Hayward
November 16, 2017

I. Call to Order

Meeting called to order by Interim Chair Andrews at 7:02 p.m.

II. Pledge of Allegiance:

Pledge of Allegiance led by Task Force Member Ginny Delaney.

III. Roll Call:

City Council & Staff: Todd Rullman, Director of Maintenance Services; Rod Affonso, Streets Maintenance Manager; and Kimberly DeLand, Administrative Secretary

Task Force Members Present: Angela Andrews, Blytha Bowers, Ginny Delaney, Alison Divine, Sharon Eva, Arti Garg, Suzanne Gayle, Jeffrey Haman, Chuck Horner, Hasieb Lemar, Tim Romano-Pugh, Megha Salpekar, and Scott Schroder

Task Force Members Absent: Lynne Clifton, Jillian Hogan, Lauren Macmadu, Stephen Ochoa, Tawana Smith, Rick Solis, Dwight Turner, and Wandra Williams

Youth Commission Liaison: None

Guest (Visitor Sign-In): None

IV. Public Comments:

- a. None

V. Approval of Meeting Minutes from October 26, 2017

It was motioned/seconded by Task Force Members Arti Garg and Ginny Delaney and passed by majority vote to approve the October 26, 2017 meeting minutes 12:0:1 (8 absent).

VI. Presentations

- a. **2018 KHCG Marketing/Outreach Plan and #HaywardBeautiful Initiative – Chuck Finnie**

Interim Chair Andrews: Chuck Finnie, the City of Hayward PIO will be discussing the Keep Hayward Clean & Green Marketing/Outreach plans and the #HaywardBeautiful Initiative. He will present to us, but feel free to ask any questions.

Chuck Finnie: I have been working with the City of Hayward since last February. I serve as the communications consultant to the City and the Public Information Officer on a contractual basis.

- **Slide 1 – Event Promotion**
 - Challenge – Mission Fatigue
 - Objective – Drive participation turnout
 - A Model – Back-to-School cleanup

I want to talk about an event promotion plan for 2018, as well as some rebranding/rethinking around the event/projects we can pursue under the Task Force name. What I heard from the staff is there is some mission fatigue among those who have been participating in the events since the Task Force was established. The other challenge has been the realignment of staff responsibilities with respect to promotions and there has been a gap in communication/media area where I work.

Our objective is to drive participation out [up]. Some of my background, I spent over 20 years as an investigator and reporter in the Bay Area. I have a passion for local government. I spent the past eight years on campaigns and getting things passed on ballots. I want to use my experience to help your campaign in driving participation turnout.

- **Slide 2 – Event Promotion Strategy**
 - Campaign approach
 - Elements:
 - Event story
 - Stakeholder identification and outreach
 - Communication plan
 - Turnout
 - Data collection and reporting

I want to take a campaign approach, which means I want to have each event to have its own campaign. From the City, promotion, media, campaign side I do not want it to be just a series of emails and media blasts that go out to the public, but it needs to be something more. It begins working with the Task Force to tell the event story. It is not just a cleanup event, but defining what distinguishes one event from the next and what is special about each event. We will also talk about partnering with groups. One thing that was identified at the last events was stakeholder identification and outreach. One obvious place is with the schools. Each of your events will be at or near a school(s) and we want to do a better job of outreach to the school community. Also, we want to identify the businesses/employers in the area who are the stakeholders. For each event, we want to develop a communication plan for that event through multiple email blasts, social media, media outreach on a scheduled basis. We want to watch the communication process to see what is working and what is not and keeping an eye on the turnout. As we are working through this process, we are monitoring what emails are getting opened, what social media is getting shared, and we will collect the data to monitor the turnout at the events. We have identified City staff who could help with this process; however, we are not far along with this process for me to reveal who it is yet. We effectively need a campaign manager for your events.

- **Slide 3 – Campaign Schedule**
 - Event story and flyer – 6 weeks out
 - Stakeholder outreach – 5 weeks out
 - Communication plan – 4 weeks out
 - Communication collateral – 4 weeks out
 - Deploy communication plan – 3 weeks out

- Turnout activities – 1 week out

After we have talk through each event and prepared the flyer for each event, we want to have the story and fly out six weeks before the event. Five weeks out we have identified the stakeholders, the school and business community we want to reach out and promote the event. Develop a communication plan four week prior to the event and we have prepared the email blasts, press releases, or door-to-door promotions. We have a budget where we can choose an event and send direct mailers or door hangers. Three weeks before the event we should talk about the communication plans. I want the person we bring on to be responsible for the registration and following up with the stakeholders are showing up at the events.

- **Slide 4 – Rebranding and Reimaging**

- Hayward Beautiful
- Beyond cleanup
- Public engagement
- Adopt-A-Block
- Timeline

In 2018, we have an opportunity branch out into other events that may fall within the notion of Hayward Beautiful. For example, we can run a photo contest where people can upload photos on Instagram to celebrate the place, people, or culture of Hayward. Surrounding the event campaigns, we can use social media to gain following around the Hayward Beautiful and the events. We did a RFQ (Request for Qualifications) from public outreach firms that do direct mail that could help us during the year to promote Hayward Beautiful.

- **Slide 5 – Questions & Answers**

- Reaction
- Clarifications
- Budget ad staffing
- Next steps

Discussion: Sometime the “why” factor is missing. When the Task Force was originally formed, there was more blight. If people are going to come out for a weekend to clean, they want to feel like they are making a difference and are connected to something bigger than them. There was discussion on the connection between trash collection and Bay Health. Do you have any data on the public’s view of the Task Force’s purpose and why the Task Force exists? Chuck has not done any public awareness study. However, the City has done a great job in the installation of the trash caption devices in the storm drains and not allowing the debris to flow to the Bay. Hayward is performing well. We need to tell the story of KHCG related to #HaywardBeautiful, we can get advertising out early to engage the public, and invite the public to participate in the events.

There was discussion of the use of City’s public access channel to advertise the Task Force events and conduct interviews to get our message out to the public. The City has two videographers on staff and we have the capability to performs interviews onsite. A video that is run throughout the day may be more effective. There was a suggestion that a graphic of the Task Force events is shown on the channel to advertised the events.

We need to set a long-term objective for Task Force. If we can determine the “why” then the “what” and “how” will fall in place after for the Task Force to share our story. The City’s plan is in alignment with the Task Force. Does the City’s media team manage the email list? The City’s media team is managing the Citywide email list and has been a gap in the use of getting advertising out to the email list. The City sent an email to the list in the late afternoon. The City has moved to

a contemporary email platform that performs analysis like the eNewsletter that goes out, we can see who opened the newsletter and which stories are read. We want to monitor this data collection for the effectiveness of the media blasts.

Twitter does not seem to be used by the City and it was suggested that Twitter is used more often with a picture of the flyer. The City can certainly send more Tweets with some modifications to the wording. However, there has been some blasts on Next Door and Facebook. The City as an organization has not been creative in the wording when we send out social media blasts. The City needs to be mindful of the message we are sending and we need to think of more creative ways to invite others out to the City events.

How about Instagram? The City does have an Instagram account. The City is going through a social media audit and the City has over 16 different social media accounts. The City has too many social media accounts. It was suggested to look at the City's #Forward campaign which was an Instagram campaign to post photos of beautiful things in Hayward, so it will be interested to see how well that campaign went. When advertising on social media, it will be helpful if the item is easy to share so the Task Force can share on their accounts.

It is suggested that we have media follow up after an event. For example, the Garden in a Day event in front of City Hall, was there any follow up on social media after the event? No, the City does not have follow up messages after the event. Capturing the full story will be a good way to tell the Task Force story for the year.

How do we provide updates to the email list? The Task Force can provide Chuck and the media team with new names and email addresses to add to the email list. The emails also need to have a "Call to Action" asking the public to join the Task Force at the events versus announcing an event. We should also add the date of the next event on the flyers.

Interim Chair Andrews we have time for one more question. As you may know, Task Force Member Bowers is the lead of the Community Engagement Ad Hoc Committee that meets from 6:00 PM to 6:45 PM the night of our meetings. If you have additional questions, we can have the Community Engagement Committee gather to questions to present to Chuck.

Director Rullman: Chuck and I talked about the direct mail piece. Does anyone have any strong feeling either way about the direct mailers? What are your thoughts of what the mailer should incorporate? I thought it could be effective.

Some are opposed to direct mailers from an anti-litter perspective. The Task Force did one direct mailer in the past, but it is unknown about the effectiveness of the direct mailer. The City can try a digital direct mailer. It was also suggested that direct mailer can be on seed paper, so when it goes on the ground it can plant itself and grow. Although the Task Force should be aware of the litter factor, but it was also suggested that having the posters and flyers is a nice reminder to the community of upcoming events. Also, the community we serve may not have as much connection to digital news and may prefer actual flyers. Maybe we can think of using a magnet, seed paper, or something that has a lasting message.

Director Rullman will provide Chuck Finnie with the 2018 Meeting and Beautification Events.

Interim Chair Andrews invited Chuck to the Community Engagement Ad Hoc Committee starting in January 2018 from 6:00 PM – 6:45 PM. We will send a calendar event to Chuck Finnie.

b. 2018 Meeting & Beautification Event Dates & Locations

Interim Chair Andrews we need more leads for our events so I will pass around the list so we can get leads for our events. Todd has an update on the February event.

Director Rullman: The February is currently at Walpert. We looked at the site and the area is tight. We have three recommendations for potential sites. One site is the Hayward Plunge as a staging location. The downside to the Hayward Plunge site is that the January event is four weeks prior and just north of the Hayward Plunge site, so we will be in the same vicinity for January and February. The other recommendations are in the two highest trash load areas, which is Tyrrell School or near Glassbrook School. We did get communication from Tyrrell School that they wanted us to partner with them, like what we did at Longwood School. Angela and I talked and we do not want to get into the landscape business for the schools. We can partner with the school to clean the perimeter of the school, but we do not want to do landscaping in the rear of the school.

Interim Chair Andrews: The choices are Glassbrook School, Longwood School, or Hayward Plunge.

Discussion: There are swim classes at the Hayward Plunge on Saturday mornings. If we have it at the Hayward Plunge, we can send people to south of Mission Boulevard.

Director Rullman: For the January event, we will send people north of Mission Boulevard and for February we will send people south of Mission.

Interim Chair Andrews: Let's take a vote. How many are in favor of Hayward Plunge. Two are in favor.

Discussion: Glassbrook and Harder Schools are close to each other in proximity?

Interim Chair Andrews: Yes. Tyrrell expressed interest in partnering with the Task Force, but they may want us to do something that we may not want to do

Director Rullman: We are not obligated to do anything we are not willing to do. Glassbrook is on Gading Road, so there may be more vehicular traffic, which can help in advertising.

Interim Chair Andrews: We are going to Gading Road for the Bay Hills event in July.

Director Rullman: As you know that area is the bread and butter for trash. If we go there in February, we will go back in July and Leidig in September. We will be in the general vicinity several times throughout the year.

Discussion: Tyrrell School's campus and playground area looks nice.

Interim Chair Andrews: If we do anything at the school, we setup at the school and cleanup in the surrounding areas around the school. Let's take a vote on the schools. Anyone interested in Glassbrook? Tyrrell? We will reach out to the contact person at Tyrrell.

Director Rullman: Kimberly will reach out to these locations to make sure the facilities will be available and allow us to use their facility.

Discussion: We are not doing the mural in February?

Director Rullman: We are still doing the mural in February, but we could not find a staging spot for the cleanup event. If anyone wants to do something around the mural, it will be separate from the cleanup event.

Discussion: If we have an event at a school, it should be a partnership where they guarantee a certain number of students to help at the event.

Interim Chair Andrews: Longwood School was a different situation. They recruited Fed-X staff to help at their event and we were on their property helping. We want to make sure that our projects are on City property.

c. Ad Hoc Committees

Interim Chair Andrews: At the last meeting, we talked about setting up Ad Hoc Committees. We already have the Community Engagement Ad Hoc Committee. Last year we set up the Data Ad Hoc Committee. We have Policy Ad Hoc Committee that includes me, Arti Garg, and Ginny Dulaney and we will discuss initiatives that we want to push forward based on the work we do here: reduce trash, reduce litter, and keep our trash collection to a minimum. We will merge the Data and Policy Ad Hoc Committees together.

The second Ad Hoc Committee the group was interested in forming is the 2018 Spring/Summer Ad Hoc Committee. This group will figure out what we will do at the Street Parties, outreach, Science in the Park, and other festival throughout the summer. I suggest that you keep in contact with the Community Engagement Ad Hoc Committee so you are on the same page for recruitment and outreach efforts.

Discussion: Some are unsure if Science in the Park should be part of the 2018 Spring/Summer Ad Hoc Committee since it is a completely different event than the other events.

Interim Chair Andrews: The Summer/Spring Ad Hoc Committee can decide which events the group will participate and keep in touch with the Community Engagement Ad Hoc Committee. Who wants to be lead for the Spring/Summer Ad Hoc Committee? Alison Divine will be the lead for this committee. Suzanne Gayle and Scott Schroder will also be on this committee.

Discussion: There was discussion on the cleanup event for Saturday and the number of participants who will attend the event since it falls on the weekend before Thanksgiving. Chabot College indicated they had 200 people for the event. As of the meeting there were approximately 50 people who registered for the events. Kimberly reached out the Chabot College early in the week to see if Chabot College can provide the number of participants and return the forms directly to the office instead of dropping the form off at the event. At the event for last month, CSUEB was supposed to have the participants complete the form prior to the event, but they did not have the form completed so they completed the forms the day of the events. Patrick from CSUEB was the contact person for the CSUEB group but he was not at the event.

d. Financial Report

Kimberly DeLand: Since the last meeting, there were a few reimbursements, we order vests for the new members and flash drives for the new Task Force Members with the maps on it.

Discussion: Can we look into ordering more canvass bags similar to the ones we ordered in the past? A sample of the previous bag will be provided. The new bags will have the new logo and

#HaywardBeautiful printed on the bag. Kimberly will verify the quantity ordered in the past and get quotes for the same quantity.

VII. Action Items

a. Downtown Streets Team \$1,000 Donation

Interim Chair Andrews: Last month we talk about how the Downtown Streets Team met their goal of \$30,000. We discussed giving them \$1,000 donation to come out to our cleanup events. They usually do not work on Saturdays, but I talked to Julia from Downtown Streets Team and she said that for a \$1,000 donation they will get us a team of three or four members for six events. The Downtown Streets Team will help cleanup at the events. I view this as a donation and an avenue for us to partner with the Downtown Streets Team. I am not sure if they can table six events, but may they can for some of our larger events. Maybe we can use the Downtown Streets Team if we know there is a low turnout for an event. Do we have a motion to donate \$1,000 to the Downtown Streets Team?

It was motioned/seconded by Task Force Members Tim Romano-Pugh and Arti Garg and passed by majority vote donate \$1,000 to the Downtown Streets Team 12:0:1 (8 absent).

b. Pizza Purchase \$1,328.52 for Make a Difference Day 10/28/17

Director Rullman: We wanted to commit to purchasing food, so we provided pizza at the last event that cost \$1,328.52. If the group decides not to approve the purchase of the pizza, the Maintenance Services Department will absorb the cost.

It was motioned/seconded by Task Force Members Hasieb Lemar and Arti Garg and passed by majority vote to purchase pizza for \$1,328.52 for Make a Difference Day 13:0:0 (8 absent).

VIII. Community Cleanups and Upcoming Events

a. Palma Ceia Park 10/28/17 - Task Force Members Salpekar & Eva

Interim Chair Andrews: The leaders for the Palma Ceia Park event were Megha and Sharon. Do you have any feedback? Anything you want to share?

Discussion: Overall the event went well. However, we gave away one of our tables and as a result we did not have a place to send individuals who wanted to do landscaping and they bunched up around the registration table. In the future, if we agree on a setup arrangement, we need to stick to arrangement especially if we have a large group helping at the events.

For those who helped with the landscaping assignment, it went well. The participants were taken to their designated areas for landscaping.

However, some of the participants changed their mind when they were asked which duties they wanted help with, which caused some confusion. Although there was some chaos, the students were flexible. If one task was completed, they came back to ask if they can help with another task. In the future, we should indicate how many participants will paint, how many will plant, and assign a number for each task.

Interim Chair Andrews: The polo team planted the trees at a faster rate than expected. The projects were getting done at a faster rate than what the Maintenance team had expected.

Discussion: Having the planting near the other activities kept the planting team engaged when they finished their tasks. When we have large groups and some of the participants are waiting for friends, we should have them wait in an area away from the registration and task assignment tables so it does not add to the confusion. If a group does not have their whole group together, we should wait on assigning a task until the whole group arrives. Also, we should provide a small description of what each task involves.

Interim Chair Andrews: The Streets Division made a sign that listed the tasks. In the future, we should continue to use the sign to help designate the tasks that are available at our events. Internally we should assign a person for CSUEB students because the contact person may not show up at the event to coordinate.

Discussion: Have we thought about the use of walkie talkies at these events? For \$50 or \$60 you can purchase two walkie talkies.

b. **Leidig Court on 11/18/17 – Task Force Members Horner & Interim Chair Andrews**

Interim Chair Andrews: This will be a good time to talk about loading and unloading the truck, roles and responsibilities at the shed. At the last event, we had lots of Task Force Members there in the morning helping at the shed, lots of members at the park, and lots of members to help load the truck at the park. It seems like many people do not like going to the shed at the end of the event. It seems to be the same three or four people who go back to the shed to unload the truck and it is the same three or four people who have been driving around lift large items. We are having members how up the events and the attendance has been great. In the past, when we assigned tasks/roles, members where not showing up to complete their task. Do we want to go back to designating tasks? Are we more in favor of the all hand on deck method or splitting of the tasks? Who is in favor of all hands on deck method? Four are in favor of this method. The other method is splitting the day and splitting the tasks into two parts of the day.

Discussion: With the second method, are we showing up for the whole event?

Interim Chair Andrews: The same few members are showing up at 7:00 AM to load the truck and taking the truck back to the shed at 1:00 PM to unload the truck.

Director Rullman: Is it easier if you get the truck loaded for the event and bring it back to the shed and I have staff that can unload the items into the shed?

Discussion: It is tough enough for those members who have unloaded the truck to get the items back in the shed the correct way. It may be difficult to have others to put the items in the shed correctly if it hasn't been done before. It should not be the same five people loading and unloading the truck at each event. It was assumed that the leaders of the events will always be there to load and unload the truck. Part of the leader's responsibilities is to ensure that you have someone there to load/unload the truck if you are unable to do so. We should not necessarily outline the tasks but just make sure that someone is there to load and unload for each event. Each member should have a checklist and try to load/unload the truck at least one time.

Interim Chair Andrews: This leads to my next discussion on roles and responsibilities. If you are a leader you are expected to be there from the beginning to the end of the event. If you are unable to lead the whole event, please switch events with someone. If you tell some the day of the event that you have to leave early, someone else ends up leading your event.

Also, the checklist for the shed, is it in the packet? There is a check list of what we are supposed to do and the items that are supposed to get loaded into the truck. Kimberly will print some and place in the shed for the event on Saturday. We should also have a meeting at the shed so we can learn how to load the shed and check our supplies. Should we meet at the shed in January?

Discussion: The assignment of tasks for Leidig Court event was discussed. There was discussion on the use of the remote to get into the Corporation Yard. We do not want to multiple remotes for the security of the Corporation Yard. Kimberly will assign an extra remote and will include the remote in the packet for the lead. The remote should be returned to the shed after the events.

Is it the responsibility of the lead to do the mapping for the events? Kimberly will continue to email the group to see who wants to do the maps for the events and she will communicate with the lead who is doing the maps or if the lead needs to find someone to complete this task.

Interim Chair Andrews: We have an iPad for asset tracking. I will take it to the event so we can try using it at the events and figure out how to use it for signup at the events. You can check out the iPad with Kimberly. Is anyone interested in taking the iPad for asset tracking inventory?

Director Rullman: The Community Engagement Ad Hoc Committee had the discussion about the online registration for events. Because this is an internal City document, I will work with Kimberly on the registration.

Angela will take the iPad to the November event to look at the EZ Office Inventory software.

IX. Announcements/Updates

Council Member Mendall Update: N/A

Director Rullman Updates: The #HaywardBeautiful mural is out for bid and we will review artwork at the end of the month. It will be at the D Street underpass. We sent out a request around #HaywardBeautiful. This is a City funded project, but Angela will work on neighborhood improvement grant to augment the funding for this project.

There is a potential mural for Tennyson Road across from the KFC. The theme is immigration diversity. The mural will go from I-880 freeway to Pompano.

Interim Chair Andrews Updates: None.

X. Adjournment (8:58 PM)